Monday, November 9, 2009

My review of Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson


Release date: October 21, 2008
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Age group: Age 9-12
Overall: 5 stars!
From: School Library
Buy the book:http://www.amazon.com/Chains-Laurie-Halse-Anderson/dp/1416905855/ref=ed_oe_h
CHAINS by Laurie Halse Anderson tells the story of Isabel, a slave trapped in New York City in the early days of the Revolution. Sold to Loyalists when her former owner dies, she's offered the chance to spy for the Patriots. But does their talk of liberty really include her? What about the British, who promise freedom to slaves who join their fight against the rebels?

I finished this book a few days ago and as soon as I put it down I thought I NEED TO READ THE SEQUEL!
The plot is very interesting and kept me turning the pages without skimming at all (which I usually do at dull moments in books). The author did a great job at researching the information and it was interesting to hear a familiar person's name from one of my text books while I was reading. In some parts of the book I would envision myself in Isabel's shoes because it was so well described.The historical context isn't simplified, the Patriot cause isn't glorified, and the characters are flawed, complex, and rich. I am in love with this book and have put the sequel in my TBR pile. It's a great example of historical fiction. Pick up this book when you have the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment